The major avenue by which we support missionaries at Southland Baptist Church is through what we call Faith Promise Missions giving.
Each year, God adds new people to our church who, whilst happily give to Missions, are unfamiliar with the concept of Faith Pomise Missions giving. Each year also, believers themselves grow and mature in Christ and through faith desire even more to participate in world evangelism through financial giving above and beyond their regular tithing.
I would encourage you, even if you already participate in Faith Promise Missions, to prayerfully read the points below.
Faith Promise Missions Giving is a way of giving to world evangelism. Rather than waiting to respond to each appeal as they come along, believers ask the Lord how much they should give to missions over the next year. As a person’s Faith grows, so too does their desire to see others reached with the Gospel. Faith Promise Missions Giving thus makes missions giving strategic and not sporadic.
• Though Faith Promise Missions Giving is optional, it does clearly demonstrate our love (Philippians 2:1-4; Luke 6:38; Romans 12:9-10)
• Faith Promise Missions giving reflects our personal commitments (II Corinthians 8:5)
• Faith Promise Missions giving is more than one can afford (II Corinthians 8:2-3; II Corinthians 9:6-15)
• Faith Promise Missions giving is NOT giving our what you do not HAVE — i.e. promising to give $150,000.00 WHEN God gives it to you. No, you are to take what God has ALREADY made you steward over and be liberal/generous with that. (II Corinthians 9:7; Deuteronomy 15:14; Ephesians 5:25)
Faith Promise Missions Giving is a free-will offering, over and above the Tithe. Tithing is a clear scripture command of 10% of your gross income, dating back to the earliest pages of Genesis. Tithing recognises God’s ownership over me and all that I have.
• God may increase your income
• God may decrease your expenses
• God may lead you to sacrifice.
A Faith Promise Missions giving is a FAITH commitment. Promise only what you believe God wants to give through you, then trust God to be faithful in this promise.
• Total up your giving to world evangelism for last year.
• Increase that total as the Lord leads you by prayerfully considering the amount you can faithfully purpose to give. (II Corinthians 9:7). Do not be surprised at what God lays on your heart, just be obedient.
• Diving the total by 52 (this is the amount you place on the slip, even if you are only going to give fortnightly or even monthly).
• Complete the form, indicating your Faith and Promise.
• Download and print the attachment to remind you of your commitment for the year.
Give regularly. Missionaries need regular support.
This is a promise to God, not a pledge to the Church. Your Faith Promise Missions Giving amount is between you and God. No one will notify you, or keep track of your progress toward your commitment.
Pledges are made to a Church or some other worthy cause and are often the basis on which a Church takes out a loan to do a construction project. Faith Promise Missions Giving is more vertical, since it is made between the believer and the Lord.
Anyone who wants to trust God and who wants to be used of God to get the Good News to the unreached (Luke 6:38; Proverbs 11:24-25).
Faith Promise Missions Giving commitments are made once a year during our Missions Month/Conference and will last until the next Missions Month the following year.